I teach students of all ages and levels, who love music and are committed to practice with a high level of detail and artistry.
I expect a high level of playing from students, but I also think it's super important to build confidence, have fun, and encourage a love of music!
Students will receive musical education that balances performance with technique, reading, counting, theory, listening (ear training), and musical expression. Students perform regularly in group classes, recitals, and festivals, and competitions.
BEGINNING STUDENT OBJECTIVES:
- Students will receive a strong foundation in reading, rhythm, theory, and technique. The Faber Method (Piano Adventures) is the best method I've used in my 35 years of teaching, and I use that with most students up to at least level 3B or 4. It has imaginative music, and prepares students for the challenges of the intermediate classics.
- Students will develop a natural hand position, learn how to get a beautiful and powerful sound, and learn healthy technical practices for a lifetime of music learning.
- Students will learn how to practice, including how to count, read notes, learn a piece in sections, and how to put it all together and make it musical.
INTERMEDIATE and ADVANCED STUDENT OBJECTIVES:
- Students will develop technical speed and power, dynamic control, voicing, balance, musical interpretation and communication, style, and performing.
- Students will learn scales, cadences, chords, arpeggios in all keys.
- Students will apply advanced practice skills and technical problem-solving skills as needed to master more difficult music.
- Students will learn advanced practice skills and performance prep skills.
- Students will learn music with a wide variety of musical styles, composers, and technical requirements.
- Students will use their musical skills to accompany, perform, and share music (when they are ready).
TECHNIQUE COACHING and TEACHER TRAINING: (For advanced pianists and teachers)
- Correct body alignment and balance, as needed.
- Develop a more natural hand position, as needed.
- Eliminate tension or discomfort and solve technical issues the student may be having.
- Help with problem spots in the music (using appropriate technical tools for the passage)
- Solve problems using special techniques for common issues such as tricky passagework, difficulty working up the tempo, chords, octaves, arpeggios, leaps, or just how to make a passage less awkward.
- Some students may choose to retrain from the basics, if they want to completely rework their technique.
Workshops/presentations,or semi-private lessons available upon request.